16 October 2008

Wine Tasting in Paso Robles



In the spring of 2006, I went to visit my brother Jesse in San Luis Obespo. He insisted on taking me on a wine tour of the region a few minutes from his house, called Paso Robles. This was by far the most enjoyable (read drunkest) wine-tasting venture I've been on and ended in a phone call to our father in which we convinced him he fervently needed a case of wine. So I was happy to see Eric Asimov shine the spotlight on Paso Robles in yesterday's NY Times. While my tour was a bit less discerning, Asimov's emphasis was on the zinfandels. His top pick happened to be Peachy Canyons, one of my favorite vineyards from the region. In fact, Jesse insisted we go there to pick up a Zinfandel and also their $10 red table wine which is perfect for a home-cooked meal.


Asimov did not however include in his tasting my favorite vineyard, Hunt Cellars. Started by a former musician David Hunt, this place has some heavy hitters. Their Barbera Reserve, their Sangiovese and their Merlot Port are the ones that spring to mind. And this is where, during our wine tasting, I rang our father and demanded he allow us to buy a case for him. We still have a couple of bottles in the cellar, waiting for a special occasion.

1 comment:

sb4i said...

As said mentioned father, the memory of the psychological assessment i was conducting on a patient that was subsequently interrupted by my more than enthusiastic and somewhat intoxicated male progeny continues to bring a smile to my face. Indeed, I wholeheartedly recommend wines from Hunt Cellars and the Peachy Canyon Zin. Cheers!