04 October 2008

From the Fridge


So it's Saturday afternoon, I'd had two cider donuts from the farmer's market for breakfast, and I'm hungry. I look in the fridge to see if there's anything I can throw together. I spot a small container of leftover rice pilaf and decide to make something up: fried rice balls. I take out an egg, whisk it and pour that into a bowl with the rice. I thought that would make it congeal and I could roll it like play-doh into balls. It wasn't really sticking though, so I add about a 1/3 cup of flour. This seems to do the trick. I heat a fry-worthy dose of oil in a pan over medium heat and then think to modify my idea from rice balls to more like rice patties. While the first side cooked for about 4 minutes, I spot my Mint plant on the sill and chop some leaves up to throw on top as a gahhhnish. When I flip the patties, I am pleasantly surprised at the nice golden brown of the first side. I then open the fridge again to find some toppings. I thought a dollop of spicy hummus would be just the thing. And for good measure I got out a little container of dipping sauce from a few nights ago's take-out Indian. You know the one, that kinda sweet brown sauce that they give you to dunk your pekoras/samosas in. Anyway, with the second side done, I pat the oil off the fried rice cakes with a paper towel, throw on the hummus, sweet sauce and chopped mint, and damned if that wasn't the best impromptu snack I've ever cooked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could've also hollered at breadcrumbs as a congealer.

Niz said...

Thanks dols, thats a good idea