15 October 2008

Food Magnet


A few weeks ago I passed by Mulberry St. and happened upon Little Italy's San Gennaro Festival. The food vendors were out en mass, from fried dough to fried calamari to the ubiquitous sausage and onions stands. But by far the most exquisite booth was the one with the trays of colorful, dwarfed food. I felt like I was in Kyoto or somewhere, but not downtown NYC. The magnets were 50 cents each so it was obvious that I needed a few, it was simply (or not so simply) a matter of which variety I should choose. At first I thought I wanted the mini plate of paella, but then the shrimp caught my eye...


The second time I circled the table I spotted a purple squid that I knew I couldn't do with out. Then I decided that two pairs of red cherries were too classic to give up. And finally, to compliment my squid, I got an octopus of the same color. Now the outside of my fridge is moderately worth looking at although it's still not as vibrant as these trays:

No comments: