27 October 2008

Recipe: Spoony Luv's Eggplant Hash

After a delicious dinner of lamb and Cornish hen downstairs at Peasant, I woke up Sunday morning inspired to cook brunch. (Sidenote #1: while I'd heard of Peasant, I had no idea that downstairs there was a semi-secretive cavern, complete with its own menu. No reservations, quality rustic food.) Anyway, I knew I had no potatoes, but I wasn't going to let that stop me. I figured that an eggplant would be rich and dense enough to hold down a hash. Frying turkey bacon crisply, then crumbling it into eggplant and onions gave the dish a smoky saltiness and I played off that with a little maple syrup for sweetness. Along with poaching eggs, I sliced a week old whole-wheat loaf razor thin (Sidenote #2: because the whole-wheat boule I baked with Peter was made with sourdough starter, even after a week, it doesn't get moldy like store-bought bread) , and toasted it to make a crispy cracker, then smeared it with fresh goat cheese. (Sidenote #3: I learned at the farmer's market that, because goats are milked seasonally, in a week or two there will no longer be fresh cheese, only aged). This was proper brunch, and I very nearly timed everything right too. I wish I had taken a picture. Alas, you'll have to imagine the hash with poached eggs and toast for yourself.


Spoony Luv's Eggplant Hash

1 medium eggplant, diced into 1/4 inch cubes
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
5 strips of Applegate Farms turkey bacon (or regular bacon) crispy
1 teaspoon of red chili flakes
2 tablespoons maple syrup
two scallions, finely chopped
olive oil
4 tablespoons of butter
salt and pepper to taste

1. Coat a medium cast iron pan with olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook til translucent, about 3 minutes.

2. At the same time, heat a second pan and begin cooking bacon.

2. Add eggplant to onions (and a little more oil if necessary) and saute for 6-8 minutes until eggplant begins to soften, stir occasionally.

3. Add red chili flakes to eggplant and begin to crumble bacon once it has cool.

4. Stir in maple syrup and add two tablespoons of butter. Lower heat to medium low.

5. Add bacon and scallions, along with the remaining butter. Season to taste.

6. Once scallions begin to brown slightly. Take off heat and serve immediately.

No comments: