27 October 2008

Bon Appetit Supper Club


I just got back from the Bon Appetit Supper Club, a 'pop-up' restaurant (it's only open from October 23-31) conveniently located two blocks away from my office. The idea of the supper club is to offer a cheap (under $10) lunch created by celebrity chefs like Mario Batali, Cat Kora, and Michael Psilakis. Along with the meal, each day a different chef gives a cooking demonstration. Today I went for Cat Cora's Thai Chicken Salad Spring Roll, which was about the size of a Chipotle wrap and pretty good for $7. Fearing it wouldn't be enough, I also got a Chocolate Chip Blondie courtesy of Pichet Ong. This was before I knew that upstairs there were free tastings of Robert Mondavi wines, and Ghirardelli dark chocolate. Somehow I managed to go on the one day there wasn't a demo, only Tyler Florence signing books, but I figure I'll be back later in the week to do some more sampling, and maybe (if I'm lucky) catch Claudia Flemming or Johnny Iuzzini teach me a pastry trick, or Ben Ford cook something slow.

No comments: