17 September 2008

The Rastafarian Turnip



Celeriac, otherwise known as Celery Root, is one ugly looking vegetable. In fact, I'm not even going to show you what it looks like. A kind description would be that it looks like some natty dreads on top of a potato. Anyway, let me tell you: this is one bad ass root. Plus, Celery as a flavor is quite unique and I think maybe under-utilized. However, I recently found an excellent example of its charm:

Living in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, I'm trying to get a sense of the area and all its culinary offerings. Right across from BAM there's this place called Thomas Beisl, a Viennese Bistro. The story goes that the chef, Thomas Ferlesch, who got four stars from the New York Times back in the 80's, decided to come to Brooklyn and open up a neighborhood joint. The restaurant has a good vibe, with German beers, and a nice deck, but what makes it stand out is the Celeriac Schnitzel.

I'd heard of Wiener Schnitzel before and I would have expected it from an Austrian spot, but Celery Root schnitzelized was something new. Being a root vegetable with that very specific celery flavor and then being fried is a good look for this ugly guy. The dish is complimented by a cucumber salad, a potato salad and a nice dipping sauce akin to a tartar. I had very few complaints. And then hopped across the street to BAM for a movie.

No comments: