18 September 2008

The Mars Volta spell funny


Last night at the Mars Volta show at the Hammerstein Ballroom, Cedric Bixler Zavala looked out at the crowd and asked, "How do you spell New York?" to his adoring fans. I didn't know any other way to spell it, but moments later Cedric started chanting "A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork: THAT'S THE WAY YOU SPELL NEW YORK". Pretty soon he had the whole place going nuts chanting. I really began to believe that this was in fact the best way to signify the city. My brother later explained that Cedric was quoting the 70's reggae star, Dillinger. However, much more recognizable was his quote later in the night, "All around the world today, the Kilo is the measure, A Kilo is a thousand grams, it's easy to remember" which is a sample from a Ghostface Killah song. Listen to the original here:

Jimmy Van & Richard Heironymous - I Weigh With Kilos

2 comments:

Hima said...

its a song called "Cocaine in my Brain"... "I've got cocaine, running around in my brain". He's also got a song called CRAB IN MY PANTS which is almost as good. the whole knife fork bottle cork thing goes back to the early 1900s when it was a saying. theres a letter written in 1915 referring to it as a popular saying.... (dont ask)

Mooner said...

fascinating hima.

that show kicked ass—made me feel like a kid again.