06 November 2008

Scallops with Shallot Butter and Roasted Kabocha


Last night I went to Provisions and found some beautiful dry scallops that had just come in. At $21.99/lb, these mollusks are no steal, but if you think about it, scallops are rich that so you don't need that many and getting them at a restaurant, it's going to cost you about $23 a plate whereas I could make a meal for two people at home for just under $20.

I had a nice Kabocha squash which I prepared a la The Flexatarian Table. First setting the oven to 450 degrees, I sliced the squash in half, scooped out the seeds and cut it into slices about 1 inch thick (on the skin side). Next I took 3 tablespoons of maple syrup, 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil, 1 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt and mixed them together in a big bowl. I tossed my Kabocha slices in the bowl then laid them out on a baking tray. They only took about 25-30 minutes to get nice and caramelized (but I turned them a few times, always checking with a fork to see if they were ready).

In the mean time, I heated a medium cast iron over medium high heat and a small pan on low heat. To the small pan, I added a half a stick of butter and a medium shallot, stirring occasionally. I put a tablespoon of olive oil into medium cast iron, then tossed in my scallops (which I had salted and peppered). You should flip scallops only once, but since they are a such meaty and delicate treat, each side need only cook for about 3-4 minutes.


Then bam! Throw some baby greens on the plate with balsamic, the squash and the scallops and dose em with the shallot butter (as exhibited above). Simple. All in about 35 minutes. Delicious.

2 comments:

abuck said...

it's about time this blog got some action shots

sb4i said...

actually, i'm hoping for a more graphic novel format in the future