18 November 2008

Jean Georges for Lunch


Last Thursday, I had the pleasure of having lunch at Jean Georges, one of New York's finest dining establishments. When I heard they had a $28 lunch special, I thought that the occasion of my workmate's departure was the perfect ecuse to bite the bullet and experience what Jean Georges Vongerichten had to offer at his flagship locale.

Ross and I entered Trump Tower fairly soaked but the excitement of the food overwhelmed our sogginess. We were ushered into the main dining room which was almost austere save for its modern chandelier. The seats were extremely comfortable and everything else was understated, creating a clean palate for the focal point of each table, the food. I was a little worried that the two dishes they offer for $28 would not be filling enough, but my fears gave way to salivation. After we ordered, they brought out a trio Amuse Bouch: a shot of Cauliflower puree, hybiscus syrup; Scottish salmon, asian pear; and a carmelized tangerine. Each had morsel was a perfectly executed bite to be savored.


For our appetizers, I had selected the Foie Gras Brulee, Spiced Fig Jam, Toasted Brioche. I could not resist the idea of the rich pate with a crystalized top layer. The dish was so intoxicatingly rich that I had to slow my normal speed of eating. I found the Spiced Fig Jam a little sweet for creamy foie gras but it was served in a pot on the side so I could use it sparingly.

Ross opted for one of their signature dishes, the Young Garlic Soup with Thyme, Sauteed Frogs Legs. I tasted the soup and found it full of Spring time, seriously. It's flavors made your eyes want to smile.


For our main course, we both gravitated towards the Roast Veal, Quince Pineapple Compote, Roquefort, but Ross ordered first so I made a game time decision to get the Soy-glazed beef short ribs, Apple-Jalepeno Puree, Rosemary Bread crumbs. I made a great choice. However, it turned out that both my dishes were boldly rich, so I think in hindsight I wouldn't pair the two of them together (and if I were a waiter I might have suggested as much) but each individually were so good that it didn't matter at all. The short ribs pulled apart perfectly and the rosemary breadcrumbs gave a welcome crunch to the meat. The Roast Veal was also cooked to perfection but I find the slightest dab of Roquefort to overpower the meat and distract from the compote.

Finally, when we declined to order desert, they still brought us out mignardises.

Four chocolates: cinnamon, coconut, limon and dark chocolate;
Three: Macaroons: Pomegranate, Chestnut and Cardamon;
Three marshmellows: Banana, Cranberry and Vanilla.
By far the coolest part of the meal was the truck they brought out that bore the homemade marshmellows. On it was a glass cylinder filled with altering layers of marshmellow flavor. With a practiced flourish, the waiter snipped squares of marshmellow and put them on our plates.

We left the meal feeling like royalty. It was found farewell for Ross and I, after spending 6 months working in the same room together and we both marveled at our experience living and New York and being able to enter into the fantasy world of Foie Gras Brulee and John Lithgow (we saw him entering as we left). I would love to go back with anyone who wants to join me. Any takers?

2 comments:

Mooner said...

taker.

sb4i said...

again, taker...to they serve the same price fix on the weekend?

ps, what....no comments on the stonecrabs?