27 February 2009

Surf and Turf on the cheap

A few weeks back, we had the lovely Awilda and Devan over for a friday night meal. I wanted to make some sort of fish and some sort of steak, but keep the price point down. In the end, I settled on flank steak with chimichurri sauce on a bed of baby arugula and an avocado shrimp salad with ricotta dumplings.

The shrimp salad is something I created on a whim a little while ago and its super easy to prepare.

Avocado Shrimp Salad
Serves 2

1 ripe avocado (cut in half, reserve the shell)
1 can of cannelini beans
10 shrimp chopped up (I use Trader Joe's frozen jumbos)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of of red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of oil
salt and pepper to taste
two tablespoons of chopped parsley (optional)

Mash up the avocado with the beans and shrimp. Combine the lemon juice, vinegar and oil in a seperate small bowl and then add to the salad. Taste it. Add a few pinches of salt. Scoop the salad back into the avocado shells. Serve. You can make this the day before if you want.

Bonus: For dessert, Elizabeth made chocolate covered strawberries. I love this picture.

2 comments:

max said...

Despite the fact that I've given up dairy for lent (self-imposed non-denominational Lent, that is), I want to know about these ricotta dumplings. They sound too good to be true.

Captain Avocado said...

Damn those berries look good.